Comments: My Father Is Going to Iraq

You'll never hear from "Bill" again, I'm sure. He's a coward, and now that you've called him out, he's probably looking into transferring to another school...

Posted by Scooter at September 22, 2004 12:26 PM

Always good to be called on your unreality by the "garlands of flowers" and "building statues to George Bush in one year" crowd.

Posted by norbizness at September 22, 2004 12:29 PM

Best wishes to your father while he is in Iraq. Our thoughts are with him while he serves our country and the people of Iraq.

Posted by Byron L at September 22, 2004 01:10 PM

thoughts and prayers with your father,

toufic
bleeding orange, 2000 and 2002

Posted by 2fic at September 22, 2004 01:46 PM

"Bill" won't call you again -- besides, he's valiantly placing himself in harm's way as member of the fighting keyboarders.

Bedsores and butt pimples deserve purple hearts too!

Posted by James at September 22, 2004 01:48 PM

Bedsores and butt pimples deserve purple hearts too!

Posted by James at September 22, 2004 01:49 PM

A safe return for your dad.

Now, remind me again why the Iraq war was the right thing at the right time?

Posted by david at September 22, 2004 01:58 PM

Bill, you should call Dobbs up. Hes not really that big of a guy... i bet you could take him.... i'd love to watch that one.. you could take him...

Posted by Zach N at September 22, 2004 02:30 PM

How can you possibly support national missile defense? I don't have to rag on you point by point. Just read an article I wrote for ZNET;

Also, why not link UT Watch to Burnt Orange Report?

-forrest

Posted by forrest at September 22, 2004 03:09 PM

Zach N. has got to be joking. Dobbs is a friend of mine- he's 6'5" and about 320 pounds. He's a scary motherfucker (with a heart of gold).

Posted by ZW Air at September 22, 2004 03:19 PM

No shit Andrew Dobbs is a gigantic (and somewhat dangerous)motherfucker. I was joking when I said that bill should take him on. The reason I repeated the phrase "you can take him" in my post was to emphasize the point that unless bill happens to be a lineman here at UT he probably cannot hurt Dobbs. On a related note, I find it humorous that bOR has begun to discuss who could (and could not) kick Dobbs' ass. I'd sure like to see bill try...

Posted by Zach N at September 22, 2004 03:43 PM

Well said, Andrew. That's the type of Democrat we've been missing.

Posted by scott at September 22, 2004 03:56 PM

I didn't know your dad is going over. Best wishes to him.
"Bill" is a coward, probably busy changing his pants at the thought of having to face someone offline.....

Posted by Andrea at September 22, 2004 07:03 PM

Leave it to a Democrat to make a complete hypocrite of himself. Though I am seeking to engegae in a debate about foreign policy he challenges me to fight him.I'm sorry if I think your unAmerican Mr. Dobbs,thats no reason to try to beat me up. Though Democrats like to talk about civil liberties, when someone expresses an opinion that contravenes there own they rush to beat him up.

As for your father. i have severla things to say. The first is that he probabaly supports honest and god fearing men like Tom Delay and probaby votes for them. Just becuase his son has the "courage" to espouse liberal bullsit while sitting happily in America doesn't mean that dad displays equal cowardice in his life. Andrew, i bet your dad is disspaointed in your political views.

Moreover, though I respect that your father is going to Iraq, I question his motives. Is he going because he wants to serve his country and ensure a peceable itraq, or is he going so he can make a bunch of money. Isnt he just one of the money grubbing mercenaries that you liberals always rip on. Its not like he is in the military or soemthing. that being said, i genuinely hope your fater is ok and come back safely and he is in my prayers.

anyway man, i dont want to fight you (thoguh i bet i would kick your ass) i just want you to watch your mouth on your blog here.

Posted by bill at September 22, 2004 08:08 PM

I can see it now, Bill v. Dobbs at the next University Democrats meeting. Or maybe out on the West Mall for our next rally. Front page of the Texan!

Posted by Karl-T at September 22, 2004 08:09 PM

Heh, funny how Bill want's respect for civil liberties, yet comes here telling Andrew to "watch his mouth".

Posted by Jason Young at September 22, 2004 09:47 PM

*Though I am seeking to engegae in a debate about foreign policy he challenges me to fight him.I'm sorry if I think your unAmerican Mr. Dobbs,thats no reason to try to beat me up. Though Democrats like to talk about civil liberties, when someone expresses an opinion that contravenes there own they rush to beat him up.*

What absolute bull, Bill. You weren't looking to engage in a debate about foreign policy. You were engaging in ad hominem attacks directed at Andrew D. and calling those who did not share your opinion of the wonderfulness of DeLay names because they dared to disagree with your ramblings.

Oh-and YOU may have a problem with Andrew D.'s politics but that has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on his and his father's relationship. Spewing your condemnation on Andrew D. as he faces his father going to Iraq is beyond disgusting.

If you want to talk foreign policy, how about losing the "if you don't believe the way I do then you're going to Hell" crap?

Posted by jlk at September 22, 2004 11:56 PM

Hey, "Bill"

Do you know anyone going to Iraq? Honestly? Besides friends of friends? I know a few people. It seems that a lot of people who couldn't bother to serve their country (Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Wolfowitz, Limbaugh, you and the rest of the chickenhawks) seem to question the service and patriotism of those who anwered their country's call (Kerry, Gore, Clark, Cleland etc.) It seems that the reward that not only these former soldiers, but also current soldiers, their families, civilians who want to go over and make a difference, and their families receive nothing but ad hominem attacks and ridicule, as well as having their patriotism and their love of country questioned. I do not define that as "honoring the troops", as is the call these day. Especially when the very same lame-brains who admonish me about disagreeing with my country (dissent is patriotic, as this nation was founded upon it) laugh about those goddamn purple heart band-aids. If those of your ilk find those funny, "Bill", and you're feeling tough enough to take on Dobbs, why don't you wear one of those to Walter Reed Hospital and honor the troops? Seriously! I think someone who has lost a leg or two and is perhaps seriously burned and maimed may enjoy the little joke about their award.

I do not agree with this war. It is based upon lies told by an illegitmate administration. I was at a peace rally with Andrew the day the war began. However, I respect that he has changed his mind, and I admire that his father is going over VOLUNTARILY to make a difference. Maybe you should join him, "Bill", and become a man.

*Though I am seeking to engegae[sic] in a debate about foreign policy he challenges me to fight him.I'm sorry if I think your[sic] unAmerican[sic] Mr. Dobbs,thats[sic] no reason to try to beat me up. [Al]Though Democrats like to talk about civil liberties, when someone expresses an opinion that contravenes[?] there[sic] own they rush to beat him up.*

Did you mean "contradicts"?

First, learn how to spell, "Bill", and review your homonyms. Second, I have to disagree with you, as violence in the pissing contest over who is more patriotic is usually leveled at the anti-war camp, not the other way around, be it verbal abuse or physical.

Dobbs is dealing with this situation in a mature manner, and although I may not necessarily agree with his views, he is entitled to them. He does not need people sitting on their ass criticizing him. Again, Andrew, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Posted by Andrea M. at September 23, 2004 11:46 AM

Andrew:

Best hopes. My uncle (Uncle Bill, incidentally) spent months over there as a reservist. He's a surgeon and supposedly saw some rough stuff over there.

Now, I'd point out that Uncle Bill thinks we're doing the right thing in Iraq (in the big picture; I don't think he's exactly happy that he had to fix up a lot of people). So we disagree about that.

But it really comes down to this. Did he have any burning desire to go to Iraq? No. He could have been at home in Tennessee with my aunt and my cousins.

And obviously I have no desire to support a war that means sending my uncle and hundreds of thousands of other reservists off to the middle of nowhere. This is a pretty big sacrifice in terms of time and patience that families all across America are making.

I don't think asking people to make that kind of sacrifice is "courageous," Mr. Bill. And even if it is, I think the onus is on you and other supporters of the war to explain to us in truthful and straight-forward terms why.

You're asking us to give up time with our family, our friends, our neighbors, our loved ones. Potentially you are asking them to die for their country. Even for those of us who do not have any friends or relatives in the service, you're asking us to send hundreds of billions of our tax dollars overseas, instead of using them here in America.

War supporters are asking us to sacrifice for their cause. The burden is, accordingly, for them to be honest with us - not to lie to us about WMDs or terrorists or whatever. The burden is for them to explain to us how this really helps America. Saying "we are safer" does not make it so.

Mr. Bill, either you do not understand what war means, or you do not believe in reason. To tell people they ought to support a war (or "watch what we say") or whatever without justifying it to skeptics like us is not reason. That is unreason.

Saying "you should support the war because it's your patriotic duty" is not reason. That's fascism.

And I see no explanation for why reasonable people like us should have to listen, in good faith, to people who are either grossly uninformed or patently unreasonable.

So, Mr. Bill, please don't play the victim. You've got to convince us here, and if you're not even going to try, I'm not going to feel sorry for you.

Posted by Jim D at September 23, 2004 01:42 PM