Comments: I Lost...

Sorry to hear that, I voted for you. Are the results posted anywhere? I want to know who won Texan editor.

Posted by Josh Maxwell at March 3, 2004 10:36 PM

Heath!
So that's some consolation.
Assuming you're for Heath.

Posted by Phil at March 3, 2004 10:52 PM

Good. Surprising, but good!

Thanks

Posted by Josh Maxwell at March 3, 2004 11:04 PM

yeah, that was a very bright spot. I really like Ben and I became very good friends with some of the ppl on this campaign. Congrats to him.

Posted by Andrew D at March 3, 2004 11:43 PM

Focus "cheated", hah. Reprezent ran one of the dirtiest campaigns the campus has seen in years while Focus was impeccable. I really do feel sorry for the well-intentioned candidates who were persuaded into running on the Reprezent ticket.

Posted by chrisken at March 4, 2004 12:09 AM

I voted for you! And go Heath!

Posted by totally at March 4, 2004 12:37 AM

"RepreZent ran a dirty campaign"

Yeah, just like Dean. Sometimes the truth really seems pretty gross. And some people need to grow up and now get all teary eyed when their public pictures are used. I'm as disappointed as you are Andrew because this represents a total lack of thinking behalf of the populace because one party control... there were some stupid candidates on both tickets, granted, but to sweep all of them in from one ticket because of the institutionalization of the ticket, that's sad.

Posted by Karl-T at March 4, 2004 01:50 AM

Dobbs,

You did an amazing job running for Patrick's campaign. I still cant believe that we got blown out so badly, but I guess I should have expected it. I am just amazed with the effort that you, Hotzie, Matt, and the others put in. I am glad that I got to help with this campaign, because I have very much enjoyed meeting the fine group of people that worked on the ticket. We'll have to stay in touch. I dont know what Ill do without my daily dose of you, Matt, Peej, and the illustrious Paul Dabney. Ill be keeping watch on the BurntOrgange Report for news on ole Rick.. we'll have to meet and tell juicy tid-bits we find out as it happens. Again, you hard effort is a testiment to your character, and it has been a pleasure meeting you. - "Hot Carl"

Posted by Carl H at March 4, 2004 01:00 PM

Andrew,

I lost the first time I ran for student Government too. Keep it up, and you can win next time.

Sherk

Posted by Sherk at March 4, 2004 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the support guys. Our campaign was called dirty because we dared to actually speak out on issues and try to draw a distinction between ourselves and the other ticket. It didn't work, largely because they started earlier and they had an army of SG acolytes on their side. See, last year only one person from the insurgent ticket won, this year no one did, next year I doubt another ticket will even run and soon people will ask if only one group gets to run things, is this really a democracy? Is this really representative at all? That happened in the 70s at UT and they ended up abolishing SG for nearly a decade as a result. Its much harder to do that nowadays but I wouldn't be surprised if a joke ticket (like the always hilarious Knighthood of Buh guys) ended up winning and just not doing anything for a couple of years. That will be a sad day because SG has so much potential for good, a potential that I believe will go wasted in the next year.

Posted by Andrew D at March 4, 2004 01:46 PM

Sherk,

This is not Andrew's first time to run. Sorry to disappoint you. :)

Posted by Karl at March 4, 2004 02:47 PM

Actually, Karl, It is my first time to run. I was appointed to a position last year.

Posted by Andrew D at March 4, 2004 05:17 PM

Other Democratic politicians who lost elections before going on to greater glory:
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Richard J. Daley
Richard M. Daley
Bill Clinton

There will be other battles. : )

Posted by Tim Z at March 5, 2004 06:15 AM

I voted for you Dobbs! I do hope that future student government campaigns avoid the negativity pervasive in this year's elections. It didn't influence my vote, but from what I heard around school, Reprezent did turn a lot of people off by "running a dirty campaign."

I don't think you guys ran a dirty campaign and I don't think you sexually harassed that bimbo showing her picture. However, I think coming out with the picture at election time made the decision look purely political. The picture should have been passed out back when the event took place so people wouldn't be confused.

Anyways, better luck next time.

Posted by Todd B. at March 5, 2004 12:11 PM

They definitely didn't abolish SG in 1978 because one ticket won all the seats. According to Davild Golstein's "The Student Government Experience", the abolition of SG was due to three factors:
* the election of radical study body president Jeff Jones in 1970, followed by three more aggressively liberal Student Association presidents (think Brent Perdue and Books Not Bombs).
* The appointment of Dr. Lorene Rogers to the University president in 1975. Widespread student disapproval was directed towards the Student Association.
* The swift decline in student activism in the late 1970s compared to the 1960s.

Furthermore, legislation like the Taco Bell resolution and the mandatory diversity requirement, both of which were widely unpopular amongst the student body, are the cause of student disillusionment with SG. The active disregard for public opinion is the antithesis of democratic government and its blatant pursuit is the only way students would abolish SG.

Besides that, I don't think you really understand the origins of the Reprezent ticket. Patrick George only created the ticket because Brent and Rachel wouldn't let him join Focus. Reprezent was not an "anti-establishment" ticket either: it merely was unable to secure many encumbents or SG participants because it was organized late and poorly. Didn't anyone else see the irony that Patrick George and Ben Durham decried the Focus ticket for basing its support on SG insiders when they are insiders as well?

Finally, are you ever going to explain your unsupported "cheating" claims?

Posted by chrisken at March 5, 2004 01:14 PM

"The people have spoken, the bastards."
-Ed Muskie